click on an article and then scroll down to read it
ELSMERE - THEN AND NOW
This photo shows a row of stately homes on Delaware Avenue in 1908. From left
to right, they were the residences of William A. Glenn, James J. Rodgers, Frank
Knight and Captain William F. Wheelock. The Glenn and Rodgers homes were
moved to nearby Booth Road to make way for the A&P. They are still there today.
The A & P in about 1950, and today.
Notes with this photo indicate it was taken from Mr. Simmons window on Booth
Road. In the foreground is the Glenn yard. In the background can be seen
School No. 15, the Elsmere Station and the grocery story/post office. In
1911, about when this photo was taken, Elsmere Avenue had a level grade crossing
the railroad tracks. Today the road goes under the tracks. The old
grocery story/post office building is still there near the corner with Huber
“new” Elsmere Elementary School, District School No. 15, was a one room
schoolhouse with eight grades, built in 1911.
In 1906, Walter Wright, eldest son of Francis Wright, delivered milk daily
from this milk wagon. Note the large can from which the milk was ladled
into the pail or container of the customers. The photo was taken on the
Albany and Delaware Turnpike, now Delaware Avenue, in Elsmere near the Booth
[ Return to TOP ]