Responsibilities of Office
The Office of Emergency Management is responsible for coordinating the town planning efforts for the preparation for, mitigation of, response to, and recovery from a declared emergency affecting the Town of Bethlehem, and for assisting in the activities of the local emergency responders, town assets, and assistance from other public, private, county, state, and federal organizations by:
- Coordinating the town's response organization and facilitating the town’s response activities
- Notifying and briefing town departments, agencies, and other organizations involved in an emergency response
- Maintaining and managing the Emergency Operations Center
- Facilitating the coordination between the town and:
- The incident commander
- Response agencies
- Other towns, cities, and villages in the county
- County government
- Local governments outside the county
- New York State and Federal government agencies
- Public and private emergency support organizations
It is the intention and the goal of the Town of Bethlehem, its elected officials, departments, and personnel in conjunction with the town-wide emergency services responder network to provide for the protection of the life and property of its residents by planning and preparing for the mitigation of, the response to, and the recovery from any natural or man-made disaster or emergency, and to do so in a safe and orderly manner with as little disruption of essential town services as possible.
Bethlehem has been selected as one of only a small number of New York communities to be awarded a “Storm Ready” designation. This honor comes after an in-depth review of its emergency storm preparations by the NOAA National Weather Service. For more information, visit the Storm Ready website
, and you can also view the Storm Ready map of New York
Other Emergency Numbers
For the Poison Control Center, please call 1-800-222-1222.
For a gas or electric emergency, please call 1-800-642-4272 (press 1).
These are not town affiliated but the numbers are provided for your information.
Are you ready to help your community?
The Albany County Citizen Corps Needs Emergency Response Volunteers
Do You Need Evacuation Assistance?
Sheriff’s Department, Evacuation Functional Needs 911 Registry Application