The Town Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee is in need of one passionate and knowledgeable resident who wants to serve their community on this volunteer advisory committee.
In February 2009, the Town Board established the Bicycle and Pedestrian Committee to address bicycle and pedestrian mobility issues in the Town. The Committee has used a “5E” approach over the years, focusing on engineering, education, enforcement, engagement, and encouragement. The majority of the Committee's meetings occur on the 4th Tuesday of each month at 6:30 PM. Meetings are currently held in Room 101 at Town Hall with the option for attendance via Zoom. In-person attendance is strongly encouraged.
Over the years, the Committee has been involved in or provided support for a variety of initiatives and efforts as follows:
- Complete Streets Resolution (2009)
- Evaluation Process for New Pathway Investment Guide (2010)
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Priority Network (2010, 2012, 2021)
- Delaware Avenue Complete Streets Study (2017)
- ADA Transition Plan (2018)
- Bike and Pedestrian Safety Survey (2019)
- Support for Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail and various related grants
- Education and Awareness Campaign
- Roll Model Program
- School Coordination/Walk and Bike to School Days
- Annual Walk and Roll Fest (formerly the bi-annual Bike Expo)
- CDTC Mini Grant for Walk and Roll Fest (Bethlehem Police Department)
- Increased Funding for Sidewalk Maintenance
- Contributions to the Bethlehem Forward Comprehensive Plan Update (2021, 2022)
- Bethlehem Safe Streets Campaign (2023)
At this time, one seat is available on the Committee. Candidates from marginalized and/or underrepresented backgrounds are sought and encouraged to apply. Individuals from South Bethlehem, Selkirk, Slingerlands, Elsmere, and North Bethlehem are also encouraged to apply.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to Nate Owens at email@example.com no later than Friday, June 2, 2023.